Success was only temporary, for in 1977 Mrs Shirley Williams, Secretary of State for Education, issued an ultimatum to the Council to complete its programme of comprehensivisation. Both Miss Brew (Headmistress) and Miss Evans (French) were rewarded for their efforts by the French Government after the war and Miss Evans was made an ‘Officier de l’Academie’ by the Academie Francaise. Hollie Palmer, Head of Art and Design at King Edward VI Handsworth Wood Girls’ Academy, said: “We were looking for a venue for a potential art exhibition for our schools when coronavirus changed everything in our daily lives. By the 1930’s the school day had become more as we know it but Thursday afternoon remained free until about 1963. It may be that the first joint production with Aston was Samson Agonistes in March 1924. King Edward VI Handsworth School is a state grammar school for girls aged 11–18 located in Handsworth, Birmingham, England.It is part of the Foundation of the Schools of King Edward VI.The school was founded in 1883 as King Edwards Aston on the site where its brother school, King Edward VI Aston School, remains to this day.In 2019 there were 1086 girls on roll. It has general info about the school, and memorable moments from the year. She had a phenomenal memory for names and faces and could remember girls for years after they had left. All year groups begin remote (online) lessons on Tuesday 5th January. School fees of thirty shillings a term (£1.50) had to be paid in 1911 but about a quarter of the girls won scholarships and others received Local Authority awards for intending teachers. . We are an academy, a member of the King Edward VI Multi Academy Trust and the King Edward VI Foundation in Birmingham. Miss Sargeant provided a welcome period of stable headship again for she was in post from 1971 to 1989. Founded in 1862 King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School is the oldest Grammar School in Birmingham and enjoys a fine tradition of excellence and achievement. The school site has developed in this time by the addition of extra science laboratories, a Sixth Form Centre and, in 2004, a Sports Hall. This period is known as the ‘phoney war’ and there were no air raids in Birmingham until August 1940. The need for school meals led to the completion of the Dining Block in 1957 and the expansion of the school to over 800 girls necessitated the gymnasium and the science block, both opened in 1962 just before her retirement. The Birmingham University Matriculation Examinations were taken after either one or two additional years. Miss Rhodes gave violin lessons and charged 6d (2 ½ p). In 1925 parties of girls began to visit the Children’s Hospital and there was a collection for the cot fund which maintained a bed; on Monday morning each girl contributed a penny (less than ½ p today).  When the school first opened, and for many years afterwards, girls were not permitted to eat in the street and had to wear gloves on the journey to and from school. The school was founded in 1883 as King Edwards Aston on the site where its brother school, King Edward VI Aston School, remains to this day. The school swimming team was very successful and a number of girls have competed at national and international standard. Miss Insch was awarded the OBE for Services to Education in 1998. After night-time air raids school opened an hour later to allow for disrupted sleep and difficult journeys. The curriculum a hundred years ago was not too dissimilar to today although practical subjects were only offered to girls not deemed capable of following a full academic curriculum and there was an emphasis on arts subjects. Cookery classes were reduced, school dinners became more frugal, the school became colder due to fuel shortages and uniform regulations were relaxed. Try. , The school has a record of high attainment and was deemed 'outstanding' in its last Ofsted inspection. 6th Form Applications remain open - please submit your online applications as normal by 17th January. King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls is an 11-18 selective girls’ school. “History is bunk” – so said Henry Ford, founder of the great American car firm at the turn of the century. The Evening of Dance which we still hold annually, has a long history and originally raised money for charity. King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys, formerly and commonly Handsworth Grammar School, is a grammar school that admits boys from the age of eleven (as well as girls in the sixth form, since September 1997). From the summer of 1942 onwards parties of girls went to various summer camps to help bring in the harvest: Henley-in-Arden for corn, peas and bean, Salford Prior for potato picking and Knightwick for hops. It became an academy in 2012. The school is part of the King Edward VI Foundation. Miscreants, kept waiting outside her door, were dealt with firmly and made to feel they were letting down the school. In 1918, School Certificate was introduced. Today the school operates from its original building along with the development of many new facilities. Modern (creative) dance was not introduced until 1945 when the teachers were Miss Hyde and Miss Seagrief; the pianist, Miss Hooper, played for dance lessons from1944 to1981 at the school. It became an academy in 2012. The earliest play on record is Iphigenia in 1913 followed by Henry V a year later. Girls who were not strong were allowed half days and others were kept at home in the afternoon to help their mothers in the house. Admission authority: King Edward VI Academy Trust for King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys, Birmingham. In 1997 a new Sixth Form block was built with the help of the King Edward VI Foundation fund. She brought the school through the closure threats of 1975 and 1981. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check. The culmination of the academic year was Speech Day. The school was founded in 1881 and has a specialism in performing arts. In 1976 the Houses were again rearranged to coincide with the forms and named after semi-precious stones because of the school’s proximity to the Jewellery Quarter – Amethyst, Coral, Garnet and Topaz. In 2019 there were 1086 girls on roll. Many girls cycled to school which was much safer in those days as there was relatively little traffic; the cycle shed was eventually converted into a Sixth Form Common Room and is now the ground floor of the library. The Jubilee Loan and Gift Fund was established under Miss Brew in 1933 to enable poor girls to remain in school. This threat was held off until 1970 when a battle ensued until June 1973. In August the school moved back from Worcester. The King Edward VI Academy Trust in Birmingham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A society for alumni, the Handsworth Old Edwardians' Society (HOES), has been running since the turn of the 20th century. King Edward's offers an all round education with a strong academic focus. King Edward VI Handsworth Wood Girls’ Academy (“the school”) is an Academy for girls aged 11-18 years. In 1946 an art club was founded and in 1951 a geography society. Things went quiet until 1981 when a new city plan for Sixth Form colleges threatened the schools. In the 1970s the choir performed at the Alderley Edge Music Festival and the Llangollen Eisteddfod. In the 1970s the houses were rearranged again and given names of precious stones – Amethyst, Coral, Garnet and Topaz, because of the school's proximity to the Jewellery Quarter. This was a temporary reprieve, for in October 1973 the Education Committee decided to ‘cease to maintain’ the grammar schools at Handsworth, Aston and Five Ways. We are consistently one of the top performing schools in Lincolnshire, the East Midlands and are ranked as one of the top 200 state schools in the United Kingdom. After the Second World War the main threat was the ending of selection. Some editors here also found life at KEVIHS hard. Bells were installed in the 1930’s. This year we held our Remembrance Assembly remotely and streamed the service via YouTube. In 1952 a Flower Show began and, in the 1950s, an Art Competition. In the early days art lessons were very formal and photographs show a classroom with rows of easels and Old Masters on the walls. The first opera to be performed was Orpheus and Eurydice in 1961 and the pantomime, Aladdin, in 1975, was the first of a series produced by Mrs Geoghegan. Trust: King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham. Our facilities are excellent and provide a 21st century learning environment. Transfer to the High School was not unusual. An unusual club was the Kyrle Society which raised money to buy pictures for the school. First Name * Last Name * Gender * Date of Birth * Current School * Tick here if you can't find the school. Some needlework classes made garments for Middlemore Orphanage. Following the first performance, mistresses past and present gave a reception to former pupils. Nightingale house was mauve, Kingsley house was green, Fry was pale blue and Browning was brown. The school opened in Handsworth on the 14th September 1911 formed by the merger of three schools: Aston, Summer Hill and Bath Row. Rounders began in the 1920s, cricket was introduced in 1945 and badminton in the 1960s. King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls. At King Edward VI Handsworth Wood Girls’ Academy, we ensure that all of our pupils have access to the widest range of learning opportunities through our extensive enrichment programme.
king edward vi handsworth school anthem 2021